Senior Category Officer - Birmingham
An excellent opportunity to get into government procurement
An opportunity to test your procurement and commercial skills
About Our Client
Central Government. Ministerial Body.
The Senior Category Officer will report to a Category Manager (G7). This job description is generic and may apply to all Category Officer posts. The post-holder may be asked to work (at an agreed level) across a number of different commercial areas within the organisation.
- Lead or participate in delivery of projects, procurements and contract management roles across the full commercial life cycle, at the appropriate level providing functional / specialist input to improve ways of working and business change & efficiency.
- Be responsible for explaining specialist commercial guidance to operational teams in order to influence compliance with policy / legislation / best practice ways of working and contribute to the delivery of business plans.
- Keep up to date on changing legislation / best practice externally, to inform internal priorities and appropriate alignment.
- Contribute to the development of policy / process at national / local level and monitor and advise on effective implementation in the business, in line with environmental targets.
- Build and sustain effective relationships with operational customers to understand issues and provide effective response / steer for operational needs.
- Be responsible for the delivery of contracts such that sustainable impacts and opportunities are identified and managed throughout the commercial lifecycle.
- Mentor and coach others on commercial procedures, practices and techniques equipping them with the knowledge and skills to deliver their work in an effective and efficient manner
- Manage team members to deliver results on time, to required quality standards and cost to fulfil the business plan and achieve / support environmental goals.
- Maximise the efficient and effective use of resources (including electronic sourcing) and people in order to ensure that all activities are completed to time, cost and quality targets.
- Support the development of sub-category and category plans and develop own market category knowledge and expertise
The Successful Applicant
The following experience is essential to this post and will be tested at sift and interview.
- An accomplished Commercial professional with a track record of setting high standards and delivering results in a complex and demanding environment
- Experience at influencing Commercial decisions at an operational level
- A proven manager with experience of leading strategic contract award negotiations and resolving dispute resolutions through negotiation
- Demonstrable experience within a challenging and/or complex commercial environment
- Working with stakeholders in a commercial environment and being able to influence and constructively challenge when necessary.
- Building and maintaining strong and productive working relationships with stakeholders and suppliers.
- Making effective decisions from analysing financial and non-financial information and identifying key risk and options and then making recommendations to senior colleagues.
- Communicating confidently and concisely. Effectively communicating with a wide range of stakeholders (at all levels) both in a technical and non-technical environment.
- Delivering improvements to ways of working and embedding change.
- Although not essential, we would prefer you to be fully qualified MCIPS or IACCM. If this is not applicable then we will be looking for robust evidence of equivalent experience.
- Other academic or professional qualifications, such as degree, Prince2, Lean or APM qualifications would be of significant interest as well.
What's on Offer
35,188 - £40,310
- CIPS sponsorship
- Time to study
- Civil Service Pension
- Promotion opportunities
- An excellent and agile working environment
- Some home working