Senior Commissioning Officer - Adults
Transforming commissioning and procurement function
Applications accepted from remote workers
About Our Client
Bedford Borough Council are a forward thinking local authority willing to offer 100% remote working, so applications are accepted from anywhere in the UK
Support the Manager for Commissioning & Procurement (Adults). Preparation and delivery of commissioning and procurement activity plans. Commissioning & Procurement activity is proactive and planned.
Provide guidance and advice. National legislation, policy, best practice and local information to support needs assessments and gap analysis informing commissioning and procurement activity. Commissioning activity is carried out in accordance with regulatory requirement, commercial acumen and in compliance with the Councils Contract Procedure Rules.
Plan, lead and manage. The delivery of commissioning projects for higher value/risk procurement projects within the agreed Adults service commissioning programme. Commissioning activity is in accordance with best practice and procured in a cost effective and efficient manner.
Develop and maintain resources. Understanding of current stakeholder resources and identification of additional resource internally and externally, including health, voluntary and community sector to build greater capacity with internal and external stakeholder groups. A structured and collaborative approach to building capacity and capability in alignment with the Council's wider strategic objectives
Devise, collect and analyse. Spend and market data through a variety of sources including the Councils financial management systems. Accountability and responsibility ensuring greater awareness and control of spend across the organisation and delivery of cost savings in line with corporate objectives.
Develop and innovate. New approaches to the development and management of Commissioning areas in line with adult social care policy, legislation and national guidance. Commissioning activity within the Council is constantly reviewed and reflective of innovation and best practice.
Undertake strategic contract management. Through robust strategic Contract management where required. Procured contracts are effectively monitored and managed throughout the term.
Plan, lead and manage commercial negotiation. Lead on higher value commissioning/procurement related negotiations with suppliers/3rd party providers. Savings are achieved in line with targets, and value for money and efficiencies are secured for the Council in line with both legislation and Contract Procedure Rules
Identify potential areas of collaboration. For future commissioning exercises with other public and voluntary sector organisations. Shared best practice and savings are achieved - value for money and efficiencies are secured for the Council.
Undertake. Any other duties commensurate with the grading of the post. To meet service needs and requirements.
The Successful Applicant
- Relevant professional qualification and/or educated to degree level or equivalent and with experience
- of working in local government or the public sector; knowledge of the role elected members play.
- Substantial experience at a senior level in relation to contracting, procurement and commissioning.
- Experience of providing specialist advice and guidance to managers at all levels of seniority, external
- agencies and other forums on a regular basis.
- Proven track record of commercial creativity, innovation and initiative realising significant savings from
- commissioning/procurement activity.
- Able to respond quickly to changing circumstances whilst maintaining a clear view of overall priorities; ability to cope under pressure and ensure deadlines are met whilst maintaining high quality of work.
- Demonstrable ability to manage commercial negotiations
- Experience of delivering complex agendas within multi-agency and multi-disciplinary partnership environments, operating successfully across organisational and professional boundaries.
- Ability to analyse, interpret, resolve and communicate complex business problems with a proven track record of demonstrably improving commissioning outcomes for Service areas.
- Experience of establishing effective contractual arrangements with suppliers and of managing contracts to ensure value is derived during the full term of the contract.
- Strong ICT skills including current working knowledge of using software packages to support commissioning and procurement activities.
- Supervisory and team leading skills
What's on Offer
- A competitive salary of £43,662 - £47,491 plus benefits
- REMOTE WORKING
- A great working culture
- An impactful role with tangible outcomes
- Strong leadership