Senior Design Engineer
Innovative Transport Solutions
UK leading Smart Manufacturing Facility
About Our Client
Bromptons mission is to transform the way people live in cities. The Brompton Bicycle was conceived in 1975 as a product that increases people's independence and freedom and this is still at the heart of everything they do. Brompton build products that are genuinely useful wherever and whenever they are needed. Still made in London today, with 312 employees and with presence in 45 countries, Brompton manufacture over 45,000 bikes per year and is the UK's largest bike manufacturer.
- The Senior Design Engineer will lead the generation of new concepts from project briefs.
- Create and manage project specifications, working with the broader team to ensure that these are robust and deliverable.
Conduct research and drive design direction on relevant project areas covering:
- Bicycle ergonomics.
- Anthropometric considerations.
- Current and future industry trends and technology.
- Target creation and setting of project relevant performance criteria.
- Technical aspects of mechanical principles involved, including frame strength and stiffness.
- Appropriate manufacturing methods based on my clients' capabilities and state of the art methods.
Design leadership, liaising with key teams outside of design and engineering. Therefore, ensuring effective and efficient cross team decisions with:
- The purchasing team, to ensure design concepts meet the financial targets set out for the projects
- Production engineering, to ensure designs are efficient for manufacture and meet the capabilities of our suppliers and the internal production team.
- Quality, to help generate inspection plans in line with the critical design requirements.
- Marketing and sales, to ensure they are informed and consulted on the designs as they develop.
- Design management with third party suppliers. Ensuring the company values are delivered, communicated and design intentions are realised and manufacturable.
- Present and evolve new ideas through sketches, hand-made prototypes and CAD visualisation for review and selection by the senior management team.
- Define and manage project deliverables to deadlines.
Carry out detailed mechanical design including.
- 3D CAD modelling using Solidworks.
- 2D critical dimension drawings.
- Simulation (Finite element Analysis) where appropriate for validation.
- 3D prototyping (using internal and external resources).
- Follow design verification plans to physically validate concepts and designs in line with internal test procedures and industry standard requirements.
- Agree the mechanical, aesthetic and ergonomic approach with the design lead and senior designers within the team.
- Creation and management of bills of materials to document proposed product changes.
The Successful Applicant
Skills and Requirements for the Senior Design Engineer
- Project ownership from concept through to mass production and beyond.
- You will be able to demonstrate knowledge of designing and evolving concepts to manufacturable levels.
- Proven record of successful management of projects from pitching the business case and ensuring financial viability through to implementation.
- Portfolio demonstrating track record in product and mechanism design.
- You have worked in a similar role ideally within automotive, aerospace or consumer product development.
- FMEA process, contributing and facilitating.
- 3D CAD software (preferably SolidWorks) and will be able to demonstrate modelling, assembly and engineering drawing to a high standard.
- Tolerance stacking of detailed assemblies and part designs.
- FEA is an advantage.
- Understanding of designing for electrical component integration desirable.
- Proven ability to produce and manage designs to specified lead times and costs.
- You will be able to work independently, directing your own research and learning when needed but you will be supported and inspired by others, so a social friendly outlook is required.
- We desire someone who is genuinely passionate about product design and the cycling industry and able to take satisfaction from seeing your efforts make a visible contribution to the ongoing success of the company.
Exposure to and a good knowledge of relevant manufacturing techniques is an advantage:
- Injection moulding
- Die casting
- Welding and brazing
- Paint and coating application
- Surface treatment
- Heat treatment
- Spring specification
- Master's or Bachelor's degree in mechanical or product design engineering.
- A minimum of half a decades worth of knowledge or track record.
What's on Offer
A great career with base salaries up to £46,000 + excellent benefits.