Senior Developer (Team Leader)
Closing date: Monday 26th April, Interview date: w/c 3rd May
Excellent Benefits & Civil Service pension (26.6% employer contribution)
About Our Client
The Planning Inspectorate has a long and proud history in ensuring a fair planning system. The work we do has a significant impact on people's lives, the communities that they live in and the economy; whether that is considering an appeal for housing, providing challenge and support to Local Authorities on Local Plans or providing recommendations to the Secretary of State on power stations, or airport expansions such as Heathrow.
We are looking for an innovative Senior Developer (Team Leader) to join us in the Digital Services team as we are expanding to meet the growing demands from our colleagues, government and our customers.
You will be leading and working in a team of developers designing and developing software products that provide outstanding digital, data and technology services. As part of your leadership role, you will foster a team environment where members are supported and developed to enable the team to fulfil their potential and contribute fully to the success of the organisation.
- Develop software products that meet user needs
- Take on the more technically demanding tasks in the department and mentor others in the team encouraging them to develop their skills
- Communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders and provide technical input within the department to identify the best technology and solutions
- Work collaboratively and as part of a multidisciplinary team focused on one or more projects delivering high quality code
- Advise on the right way to apply standards and methods, ensuring compliance, and oversight for all the stages and iterations of a software development project
- Provide technical advice to stakeholders and ensure the standards for programming tools and techniques are followed
- Keep up to date with the latest technologies and trends, whilst delivering working software early and often.
- Quickly learn new languages and frameworks
- Use industry standard Agile methodologies and practices such as TDD, continuous integration, continuous delivery, and DevOps
- Lead and work with a software development team
For full information please refer to the candidate pack via the Civil Service Jobs website
The Successful Applicant
- Experience of agile development, software design patterns, continuous integration and version control (preferably GitHub)
- Experience of developing and working with APIs
- Demonstrable experience of delivering user focused products with a thorough understanding of software design principles, standards and practices and advising others on the right way to apply them
- Experience of leading and mentoring a team ensuring they reach their potential, conform to good software practice and produce high quality, well tested software
- Ability to quickly research and learn new programming tools and techniques
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven experience balancing multiple priorities and dealing with ambiguity
- Experience of identifying, locating and competently fixing faults
- Understanding cyber security, developing solutions and services with security controls embedded, specifically engineered as mitigation against security threats as core part of the solutions and services
- Relevant professional qualification at practitioner/professional level (e.g. BCS Practitioner Certificate in Systems Development Essentials, Microsoft certificate) or willingness to study for a qualification within a reasonable length of time
- Other cloud platforms and programming languages (e.g. AWS, PHP, Java)
- Azure AI & Machine learning services
What's on Offer
- A CV setting out your career history, key responsibilities & achievements.
- A Personal Statement (1000 words max) - Please attach your statement to your CV before applying. Statements can also be emailed directly to Roxanne Egan.
Applications without a personal statement will not be assessed.
We will assess your application based on your experience and the evidence you have provided against the details set out in the Job Description and Person Specification.
If you are shortlisted, you will be asked to attend a video interview (w/c 19th April) to have a more in-depth discussion about your experience & suitability for the role. Interviews will be a blend of behaviour, experience and technical questions.
Salary scale: £40,716 - £43,743*
Recruitment and Retention allowance: up to £3,000 per year, depending on experience and technical knowledge. This will be reviewed on an annual basis.
*normal starting salary is £40,716 we will consider a higher starting salary for exceptional candidate
- Flexible working & family friendly policies
- A generous civil service pension starting at 26.6% employer contribution rate;https://www.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk/members/contribution-rates/
- 25 days annual leave, increasing on a sliding scale to 30 days after 5 years' service