Sustainable Materials Manager
Opportunity to influence an FMCG business from a sustainability perspective
Plastic packaging focussed
About Our Client
Part of a FTSE250 list business and one of the most well known retail organisations in the UK. Keen to adapt it's carbon footprint through innovative developments.
The key responsibilities of the Sustainable Materials Manager are:
- Implementation and accountability of commercial sustainability plan
- Annual submission of Packaging & Packaging Waste data including WEEE
- Responsible for evaluation of materials used in new products and their sustainable credentials to meet our targets
- Drive the use of recycled material in our products and work with our suppliers to set suitable targets in conjunction with the Commercial sustainability agenda
- Reduce the reliance on virgin raw materials and remove unnecessary waste from our products inline with the Commercial Sustainability agenda
- Promote the circular economy of products within the company and provide training and guidance to the relevant stakeholders
- Assist the technical managers in the supplier evaluation and approvals as appropriate, including associated manufacturing sites, and ensure all issues are effectively managed and appropriate remedial action taken
- Support the Commercial & technical teams through responsible sourcing practices ensuring risks associated with ethical and social responsibility are addressed
- Ensure accuracy of product data and providence relating to origin, recyclability & recycled content including associated risks to environment & safety
- Ensure that the team and Business is kept fully informed and up to date on all product related environmental legislation and compliance requirements and that this information is readily available, understandable and forms part of the product evaluation/approval process.
- Establish relationships with Suppliers and specialist service providers such as Legislative Bodies, Test Houses, Trade Associations and NGOs
- Ensure the Head of Quality is informed immediately where it is identified that a material used has failed to adhere to agreed requirements/specification resulting in an unsatisfactory level of risk to the brand or exposure to the overall business
The Successful Applicant
The ideal candidate will:
- Professional Qualification in an appropriate field (Degree equivalent)
- You will need to have significant experience in technical aspects of sustainability, particularly in relation to packaging, with the ability to collate and analyse data.
- Proven track record in delivering change that has resulted in improvement in sustainability
- Able to evoke change in culture at all levels through people
- You will need to be skilled in developing, managing and reporting on KPIs relating to scope of sustainability in design; with a strong product design background and understanding of the possibilities and trade-offs in the product design process.
- In-depth detailed knowledge of product legislation and Environmental impact.
- Good knowledge and experience of CE Directives.
- Detailed practical experience of factory manufacturing processes and best practice.
- Resilience in following through business critical issues.
- Persuasive approach to problem solving at all levels.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to a broad spectrum of individuals
- Well organised with the ability to plan workload to achieve deadlines.
- Good numeracy skills and conversant in Google and Microsoft platforms,
- Full UK drivers licence and flexibility to travel. Some overseas travel may be required, depending on categories managed.
What's on Offer
Competitive salary and attractive benefits package