- At a world leading Research Institution
- Provides quality academic, social and cultural facilities to over 17,000 pupils
About Our Client
UEA is a world leading research institution which is based on a campus that provides top quality academic, social and cultural facilities to over 17,000 students. UEA is one of six organisations that together forms the Norwich Research Park (NRP) Partnership; home to nearly 3,000 scientists working in several world ranked institutions and a world leading centre for environment, health and plant science research. At UEA we come together from different fields to learn, innovate, collaborate and help create a better future.
The Systems Specialist (Storage), Norwich - fully remote will ensure;
- DeliveryofICT systems including:
- Upgrading and maintaining existing hardware, firmware, applications, and tools, flagging conflicts to the Head of Systems
- Ensuring that systems are configured and maintained to provide the appropriate security and resilience.
- Resolving faults, ensuring appropriate inoperability between systems, and providing general support.
- Decommissioning systems and applications at the end of their life cycle.
- ProactivelycontributetothedevelopmentofICT systems including:
- Advising the Head of Systems on the strategic direction and roadmap of this area.
- Undertaking option appraisals, selecting new systems, systems design, and capacity planning.
- Installation of new systems, including configuration, testing, migration, training and managing from project to live service.
- Act as the technical lead in this area:
- Provide technical support for the Operations and Service Desk teams.
- Providing training and documentation to the Operations and Service Desk teams.
- Validate documentation produced by Operations and Service Desk teams.
- Ensure appropriate consultation with faculties and central units about the support and development of ICT systems.
- Ensure appropriate process review work and policy redevelopment is built into system changes.
- Keep abreast of relevant technologies to assist with integrating storage solutions into Infrastructure Operations systems.
- Work with other members of the Infrastructure Operations teams to provide and receive the support required to ensure the delivery of areas of responsibility.
- Support application developers who are typically not expert in operating systems, networking, and storage infrastructures.
The Successful Applicant
The Systems Specialist (Storage), Norwich - fully remote should have;
- An IT related degree (or equivalent qualification) and/or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrable experience of systems development including managing enterprise-level storage infrastructure.
- Experience of system design, capacity planning and operational monitoring
- Experience of Microsoft and Linux operating systems.
- Strong written and oral communications in English language.
- Presentation skills
- Negotiation skills
- Analytic and problem-solving skills
- Able to use specialist knowledge to assist the Head of Systems in the development of policy
- Commitment to the service ethos and user focused ideally in an ITIL based framework
- Ability to work independently and within a small team
- Flexible approach to work, including planned out of hours work
- Ability and willingness to participate in out of hours cover scheme.
To stand out, ideally you have some of the below experiences;
- ITIL Foundation
- Experience of data migrations between vendor technologies
- Experience of implementing Spectrum Scale (formally GPFS).
- Experience of implementing and managing Hierarchal Storage Manager (HSM)
- Experience of managing and deploying an enterprise-level secure storage infrastructure
- Awareness of cloud-based technologies such as Microsoft 365, Azure AD and Intune/EMS.
- Working experience of project management
- Expert skills in storage area networks (SAN) including security, networking and management tools.
- Expert skills in managing an enterprise backup environment including the implementation of disaster recovery solutions. Skills in Spectrum Protect (formally TSM) environment would be advantageous
- Understanding of the inter-relationships between storage, server software, operating system software, hardware, and network systems
- Skills in Linux shell scripting (bash), text processing, SED and AWK
- Experience of network-based services, Active Directory, SNMP, CIFS (SMB) and NFS
What's on Offer
The Systems Specialist (Storage), Norwich - fully remote will receive;
- Base salary of up to £40,927 depending on experience
- Remote based position
- Fantastic, comprehensive benefits package
To find out more about working at UEA please click here'