CPC qualified transport expert required
An exciting opportunity for an excellent people manager
About Our Client
Our client is a leading food delivery business based in Harlow.
The Transport Manager will lead the operations of the Transport department in line with Finance targets, legal compliance whilst achieving best possible level of service to internal and external Customers, delivered through effective engaging and motivational leadership. Based in Harlow, key responsibilities will include:
- Achievement of the daily/weekly/monthly KPI's through effective guidance and coaching of direct reports.
- Lead a team and create an engaging environment encouraging direct reports to drive performance through a balanced approach of recognition and managing performance against agreed KPI's.
- To control all department resources and costs within agreed finance targets and / or flex accordingly based on volume, WTD and customer requirements without compromising safety, people, service and costs.
- Communicates with people at all levels including people in different departments and the Depot Leadership team.
- Manages and delivers briefings to the team to ensure they are aware of, and adhere to all Company messages, policies and procedures.
- Ensure full departmental compliance through regular monitoring of QHSE, Sustainability and Fleet standards, focussing on team wellbeing in accordance with the relevant policies.
- This includes PPE, Vehicle checks, CV servicing and MOT's, VOR's, Contractor, hygiene, temperature checks, pest control, accidents and near misses.
- Monitoring all investigation activity to understand root cause and make sure that corrective and preventative action, has been implemented and solutions identified or escalated where necessary.
- Monitor stock and routing reports and work collaboratively with wider teams to reduce damage and manage costs effectively.
- Take an inclusive approach to continuous improvement by reviewing the operation as a whole and recommending and developing opportunities to peers and depot leadership.
- Set clear expectations including KPI, safety and team behaviours to all direct reports by setting annual objectives and ensuring they hold the relevant skills to effectively manage their teams. Hold regular one to ones to review objectives and perform end of year appraisal for direct reports, ensuring everyone in the team has objectives and an end of year review.
- Consistent application of HR standards specifically around recruitment, the management of absence, performance, conduct, safety and service and making sure all documentation is completed to a good quality and handled in line with GDPR. Seeking appropriate advice when necessary from HR Representatives.
- Make sure the agency worker process is fully compliant, including recruitment through appropriate PSL agencies, full training and completion of relevant agency documentation.
- Utilise and analyse relevant data from systems such as Optac, Microlise, Paragon, One Source and Risk Console to identify issues proactively and drive improvements through direct reports.
- Ensure direct reports are leading required change throughout their teams to ensure initiatives are fully implemented and their teams are engaged throughout the process.
The Successful Applicant
The successful Transport Manager will live within a commuting distance of Harlow and be able to demonstrate the following experience:
- National CPC holder is essential. Site O License holder preferred.
- Strong commercial awareness with the ability to fully understand budget and financial targets.
- Proven ability to lead and motivate large teams, with excellent people management skills.
- Experience of successfully developing team members to drive performance.
- Experience of managing a fast moving Transport environment, preferably from a multi-drop, multi-temperature business.
- Effective communication skills.
- Work collaboratively and influence to build strong, trusting relationships with peers and other business departments.
- Plan workload for themselves and others effectively.
- Evidence of managing and driving change, in situations constantly requiring adaptation.
- Evidence of creative and innovative thinking.
- Solid judgement and influencing skills to provide impetus to get things delivered.
What's on Offer
A competitive basic salary and benefits package will be offered to the successful candidate.