Transport Operations Manager
Leading Building Materials Business
Rapidly Growing Organisation + Progression
About Our Client
Michael Page Logistics have partnered with a long standing client of ours, successfully operating within the Building Materials sector across the UK.
This company have experienced huge periods of growth over the last 3+ years and continue to dominate large proportions of the Building Materials market within the UK. Multiple recent contract wins have enabled the business to review their footprint, now requiring an out base in Peterborough.
Naturally with such growth, the business promotes their internal development programme with the intention, the successful candidate will be progressed into Regional & National positions in future years.
The Transport Operations Manager will be responsible for:
- Reporting into the National Transport Manager.
- Managing a team of c.60+ drivers, along with a management structure including Transport Shift Managers, Transport Supervisors, Planning, Fleet and Customer Services teams.
- Ensuring key performance Indicators (KPIs) are achieved, including service and financial targets.
- Overseeing the companies continuous improvement and process improvement initiatives / projects.
- Ensuring compliance with statutory and Company safety standards.
- Managing the transport budget; taking corrective action where costs are greater than either the budget or volumes allow, and develop continuous improvement programmes.
- Reviewing, maintaining & updating training logs ensuring all staff are available & attend training courses as & when required.
- Complete thorough driver trip Debriefs and manage poor performing drivers.
- Managing drivers hours & ensure legal compliance as per the Working Time Directive & Drivers hours
Using the Gateway system to maintain drivers hours records and Tachographs to include uploads of vehicles & drivers within the required time limits, collate and send charts/envelopes to FTA for analysis.
- Ensure vehicles are available for scheduled maintenance & MOT, with an appropriate replacement to meet the business demand.
- Carryout driving licence, ADR certificate, CPC card checks at the appropriate time.
- Maintain & review driving licence records.
- Be commutable to the Peterborough region.
The Successful Applicant
The successful candidate for the Transport Operations Manager position will have the following qualifications, skills and experiences:
- Have a Logistics Distribution and Supply Chain background.
- Be Degree / BA Hons / MSc educated (or similar) - Advantageous.
- Be CPC National / CPC Internationally qualified - Essential.
- Have a minimum of 5+ years Transport Management experience - Essential.
- Have worked within a fast paced sector previously - Building Materials / Food / FMCG / 3PL previously - Advantageous.
- Have managed in excess of 80+ drivers previously - Essential.
- Have managed budget in excess of £5M - Advantageous.
- Be commercial aware and results driven.
This person will have likely worked within a; Transport Manager, Transport Operations Manager, Logistics Manager, Depot Manager, Site Manager, Transport General Manager, General Manager, Regional Transport Manager, National Transport Manager or Head of Logistics role previously.
What's on Offer
This role offers:
- £45,000 to £50,000 - DOE.
- Company Car / Car Allowance.
- 10% Company Bonus scheme.
- Company Pension scheme.
- 25 Days + 8 Bank Holidays.
- Additional Company benefits.