You are here
What is networking?
Networking is key to a successful and expanding career. The aim of networking, is to build strong, long-lasting relationships, however, this isn’t always with ‘business people’. You can build strong networks with friends, family or sport teams. A good networker will invest their time in getting to know people. The more effort you put in, the higher the possibility they will be able to assist you one day.
Why spend time building relationships?
Networking is about sharing, forming trust and helping one another toward goals. Regularly engaging with your contacts and finding opportunities to assist them helps to strengthen the relationship. By doing this, you sow the seeds for reciprocal assistance when you need help to achieve your goals.
Benefits of networking
- Networking can be an excellent source of new perspectives and ideas to help you in your role. Exchanging information on challenges, experiences and goals is a key benefit of networking because it allows you to gain new insights that you may not have otherwise thought of. Similarly, offering helpful ideas to a contact is an excellent way to build your reputation as an innovative thinker.
- Networking also raises your profile and is a way of getting noticed. Regularly attending professional and social events will help to get your face known.
- Expanding your contacts can open doors to new opportunities for business, career advancement, personal growth, or simply new knowledge. Active networking helps to keep you top-of-mind when opportunities such as job openings arise and increases your likelihood of receiving introductions to potentially relevant people or even a referral.
- Networking is a great opportunity to exchange best practice knowledge, learn about the business techniques of your peers and stay abreast of the latest industry developments. A wide network of informed, interconnected contacts means broader access to new and valuable information.
- Gaining the advice of experienced peers is an important benefit of networking. Discussing common challenges and opportunities opens the door to valuable suggestions and guidance.
As well as networking, stay informed on your job market with Michael Page's current online listings.