When hiring, it can be difficult to find the ideal candidate for your business. However, within the retail industry, it is crucial to source and retain your top talent, as unprecedented change continues to disrupt the sector.
Many employers believe that it is more efficient to run recruitment processes through their internal HR teams, rather than seeking the help of a recruitment agency. While successful for some, in many cases this option will result in hiring the wrong candidate, which in turn means higher recruitment costs in the long run.
Implications of hiring the wrong person
When hiring, employers may receive thousands of unsuitable applications before they are able to shortlist any promising candidates. The time it takes to sift through CVs and eventually invite candidates to an interview can stretch over months. However, ineffective recruitment processes can cost a business more than just time and money.
If you hire the wrong person, there are an array of extra costs that will arise.
- Resources searching for a replacement candidate.
- Time and cost of training another new starter.
- Increased salary expenses.
- Revenue lost from an unsuitable candidate.
- Low team productivity.
- Damaged client relationships.
The team in a sales and retail department largely relies on the positivity of each individuals’ outlook, as this will affect overall performance. Constant disruption to the team dynamics or the wrong person being brought into the mix can damage morale and lower motivation.
A productive mindset is key for professionals to complete their work to the best of their ability. This is affected if they are subject to office politics or aren’t inspired by the people around them. Professionals and teams need to be in a positive state of mind to drive a self-fulfilling output.
Ultimately, deciding against using a recruiter can mean you end up hiring the wrong person for the job. This is because you are only accessing an active a pool of candidates, that may not be suitable for the role, rather than those who have been identified as a good fit for the position and your organisation.
The added value of working with a specialist recruiter
A specialist recruitment consultant will know the ins and outs of the retail and fashion market, as well as having direct access to a pool of top candidates that are looking for a new challenge. It is important to seek out this advice to access the unique and up-to-date market information recruiters can provide.
At Michael Page, we often speak to our clients about reducing their time to hire, particularly during the interview stages. This is because it has never been more important for businesses to streamline their recruitment processes in today’s market. Slow recruitment processes, whereby top talent is left waiting for too long, often result in candidates accepting opportunities elsewhere. It is crucial to act quickly when you meet a candidate that you see potential in, as they likely won’t be on the market for long.
Here are some benefits of working with Michael Page to recruit for your business.
- We have direct links to industry leaders that can give us unique insight into the market, as well as what their sector is experiencing at the moment.
- We offer salary surveys that can help businesses to benchmark salary offerings so they remain fair and competitive.
- We host a number of events and webinars that we encourage our clients to attend, as they offer unique insight into the industry from internal and external sources.
- Our specialist recruiters can provide an abundance of tailored management advice. We deal with management level candidates and clients, so we have an in-depth understanding of what professionals are looking for.
- Our consultants can help businesses with their recruitment advertising, ensuring that they are targeting the right audiences through the correct platforms.
- We are a global business with reach to a global market.
Businesses that choose to hire directly from the market are often engaging with candidates with the same experience and skill sets. It is crucial for businesses to differentiate in today’s market as it is flooded with similar roles, to attract top talent opportunities really need to stand out. Organisations that elicit the help of a recruitment agency will be able to tailor their advertisements per platform and target a specific audience. Here at Michael Page, we can manage the messaging that goes to market and make sure you are best placed to attract top talent in your industry.
If you are looking to hire within the retail sector, please get in touch with your local Michael Page office today. Alternatively, if you’re interested in finding out more about the top skills in your sector, please read our article ‘The top 10 skills in the retail sector for 2019’.
Manager, Michael Page Retail
T: +44 20 7269 2594